Wednesday, October 14, 2015

DIY: Snowman Hat Christmas Tree Topper

My DIY snowman hat christmas tree topper
     I have always noticed that every christmas season every christmas tree (not all but mostly) has a common tree topper--- an angel. Not that there's something wrong with it but eventually it gets "blah". Since the holiday is around the corner and since I'm a huge DIY fan I thought of sharing my DIY christmas tree topper from last year to hopefully inspire others. It's easy and I absolutely had fun making it. 
     Let me tell you the back story about how I came up with this idea. About a year ago during christmas season, I was at a vietnamese nail spa to have my acrylic nails filled in when I saw a morning TV show (my apologies i can't remember the name of the show). It was all about DIY christmas tree toppers. Instantly a light bulb lit up while I thought to myself "That's exactly what I freakin' need for my huge christmas tree!" And so I decided to gather the materials that I used for this cute art project. Really, all it takes is to get those creative juices flowing.  Like they say if you can visualize it, you can make it.

Materials Needed: 

  • Felt Fabric (about 1 meter)
  • KFC chicken bucket container (size of your choice)
  • Ribbon (color of your choice)
  • Black thread
  • Large needle
  • Scissors
  • Cutter
  • Glue gun
  • Plate (with diameter size bigger than the KFC bucket)
  • Cardboard (I used 2 folders)
  • pencil/sharpee for marking
  • Christmas accessories to decorate the hat
Steps:
1. With the KFC bucket in an upright position, remove the bottom part using the cutter. There should be two holes now (the top and the bottom).
2. Wrap the outside of the KFC bucket excluding the top and the bottom with felt paper. Sealing the ends using a glue gun.

Tip: Just go to a drive through, order a meal and politely ask for a bucket container. They're usually fine with it.

For the brim of the hat: 
1. Use the bottom part (small hole) of the KFC bucket as the pattern to draw a circle on the cardboard
2. Use the plate  as the pattern to draw an outer circle from the bucket circle. 
3. Cut the outer circle using the scissors.
4. Cut the inner circle using a cutter. This will now serve as the brim of the snowman hat.
5. It should look like this:







6. Use the brim pattern to cut 2 circles on the felt fabric. One for top and one for the bottom.
7. Use glue gun to put the felt fabric and the cardboard together.
8. Sew the outer edge of the brim for a clean finish look.
9. Use glue gun to put together the brim and the bottom part (small hole) of the KFC bucket.

For the top of the snowman hat:
1. Use the top part  (big hole) of the KFC bucket as the pattern to draw a circle on the cardboard and cut it.
2. Use the circular cardboard as the pattern to cut 2 circular shapes on the felt fabric.
3. Use Glue gun to put together the circular felt fabrics on top and the bottom of the cardboard circle.
4. Sew the outer edge of the circle.
5. Fit the felt covered circle to the top  of the brim and use glue gun to put it into place.
6. You should have now a snowman hat without the accessories yet :)

For the finishing touch:
This is the part where you put your creativity skills into work. You can use whatever christmas accessories you can think of. I recycled my old christmas decorations which included red christmas balls and blue poinsettias to match my white and blue themed christmas tree.

  1. Put the ribbon around the brim of the hat and seal the ends with a glue gun.
  2. Accessorize one side of the snowman hat according to your liking.

     I hope the steps were not too overwhelming to follow. I tried my best to keep the instructions clear and the words simple but I guess at some given situation its easier done than said. 
     Shown below are my last year's picture and video of my christmas topper and my white and blue themed christmas tree. I am thinking of a new christmas theme for my humble abode this year. This should be exciting!

Finished product!












2 comments:

  1. Wow, nice DIY. Wish you had more photos of the steps/procedure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish i had more photos too but this was last year's DIY :/

      Delete